What are we about
What are we about
As the sport’s Indigenous governing body, Indigenous Lacrosse Association provides leadership, structure and resources to fuel the sport’s growth and enrich the experience of participants in Turtle Island.
This strategic plan was developed within the context of the growth of the sport and the Indigenous Lacrosse Association infrastructure. It is important to note that this plan doesn’t address every issue or opportunity; it is narrowly focused by intent. Vital to the success of the plan is the ability of Indigenous Lacrosse Association volunteers, communities, future associations and players to embrace the strategic priorities and work collectively to accomplish the plan goals.
While it is imperative to acknowledge that we need to develop member associations, programs and overall leadership to build the Indigenous Lacrosse Association, these four overarching strategic priorities identified by the Strategic Planners Committee require added focus and resources over the next three years. The four priorities and their related descriptions, goals and strategies follow.
PRIORITY 1: ESTABLISH AN INDIGENOUS GOVERNING BODY
Indigenous Lacrosse Association will seek to become the national thought-leader of the sport. Through programs and services, effective leadership, positive influence and meaningful advocacy, Indigenous Lacrosse Association will drive the thoughtful development and adoption of lacrosse best practices and standards.
PRIORITY 2: OUTREACH AND INCLUSION
To assure a diverse nation lacrosse community, Indigenous Lacrosse Association will develop and provide programs and services that introduce the sport to those unfamiliar with it, reduce financial barriers to participate and supports the establishment of accessible and self-sustainable lacrosse programs.
PRIORITY 3: EDUCATION
Indigenous Lacrosse Association will strive to provide essential and comprehensive educational resources, tools and information for coach’s officials, parents, players, administrators and volunteers to ensure a quality experience for the lacrosse community.
PRIORITY 4: VOLUNTEER AND STAFF CULTURE AND STRUCTURE
The Indigenous Lacrosse Association will offer a dynamic, cohesive structure and culture for volunteers, players and nations that embody a shared commitment to core values and uphold unified behavioral standards that drive mission success.
The purposes is to improve and foster the game of Lacrosse generally, and in particular:
• To conduct activities to perpetuate the game of lacrosse as the National Game of Canada.
• To carry out the competitions for Indigenous people.
• To make, maintain and enforce rules and regulations for the control and governance of the game of lacrosse within Indigenous communities.
• To improve, encourage and advance box and field amateur lacrosse in all its divisions and levels.
• To promote, foster and develop the playing of lacrosse throughout the Nations.
• To encourage the growth of lacrosse as a sport, and in doing so, provide an opportunity for improved physical health and welfare.
• In order to benefit the growth and development of lacrosse in Nation communities by entering into mutual agreements with other inter-provincial/state bodies.